You are now entering…The Quiet Zone

13 Jun

I’m spending my last night at the Crowne Plaza St. Louis-Clayton, where I’ve been since last night for a client event. The hotel is pretty impressive. I am on what they call a Quiet Zone floor. This means:

  • No housekeeping or maintenance activities between 9 p.m. and 10 a.m.
  • No children, leisure groups, marching bands, or circus animals will be assigned to this area (thank God, at the last hotel there was a giraffe couple next door, and that was not cool)

In return, the hotel asks the following:

  • Keep TV and radio at a low volume
  • Ensure guest room doors do not slam
  • No loud singing in the shower (no “Dancing Queen” for me!)

The room itself is nice. The bed humongous and very comfy:


As part of the whole “Quiet Zone Floor” experience, I found the following waiting for me on the bed when I arrived:


The CD is a sleep-themed CD, with visualizations and calming music to help you fall asleep. Inside the pretty pouch was a sleep mask, ear plugs, and lavender linen spray.


A very nice touch, I thought. There’s also a comfy looking robe in the closet, but there’s not enough room in my suitcase for me to steal it (if you’re from the Crowne Plaza and reading this entry … just kidding!).

My Skyway Airlines (operated by Midwest Airlines) flight got in last night at about 7:30 p.m., and by the time I caught the airport shuttle and checked in, it was about 8:30 p.m. I went down to the bar to order some dinner to take up to my room, and had a couple drinks while I was waiting. I brought down my book with the plan to read, but was pleasantly surprised to discover that one of the TV’s in the bar was tuned to FSN Wisconsin, so I got to watch a bit of the Brewers/Astros game before my food came. I got my food, inhaled it upstairs, played around on the laptop, and went to bed.

While my normal workday begins at 8:30 a.m., this morning I was up and working by about 7 a.m. I was in St. Louis to assist with a client-sponsored seminar featuring a motivational business speaker. The event ended at 3 p.m., we finished cleaning up at about 4 p.m., and afterwards I went to my room and checked my e-mail. I thought I was going to have to have dinner with my client (not that it’s bad thing, she’s awesome), but it turned out she was driving back to her home in Indianapolis. So I was happy to be able to call my Aunt Nancy and cousin Annie, who live about 25 minutes away in southern Illinois, and they drove up for dinner.

We had a great meal at J. Buck’s, which coincidentally was right next door to my hotel. Had a great burger, a nice glass of reisling, and an even better chocolate chocolate cake dessert. We went back to my hotel room so my pregnant cousin could use the bathroom, sat and talked for awhile, and then they went home. It was nice to be able to fit in a family business with work — the places I’ve traveled in the past (Florida, California, Indiana) haven’t afforded me that opportunity.

I talked to some friends back in Milwaukee and it sounds like we’re having horrible rain again (similar to what we had over the weekend that completely drained a lake in the Wisconsin Dells), so I’m hoping that won’t affect my flight home tomorrow. Although at least I can stay with my aunt if my flight gets cancelled, and not in a hotel.

But, worrying about it won’t solve anything, so I will just pray tonight that I can get home safely (and on time!) tomorrow, because after that I leave again Sunday for a trip to Indianapolis (from which I am flying to Charlotte on Wednesday, then home on Friday).

I miss my kitty.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: